Thursday, December 9, 2010

'Now Is the Time - 170 ways to seize the moment' by Patrick Lindsay

A friend of mine recently gave me this little pocket rocket for a 'significant' birthday, and after a week or so, she asked me if I had read it and I confessed that I hadn't. She encouraged me to read it soon and once I began, I discovered what a real little gem it is.

As a challenge to the 'writer' within me, I've decided to share some of the pearls of wisdom with you as a daily exercise, until I run out of things to say. I hope some of you find some of it interesting, inspirational and thought provoking.

Make my day and add your thoughts to any of the exercises...I'd love to hear what you have to say.

It is what it says, 170 ways to seize the moment...and at my time in life, this is a very important concept to grasp hold of and run with.

So, here goes...

No. 1

'Now is the time to ...

tame your inbox

Stop allowing email to dominate your life.
It interrupts your concentration.
It puts you in a state of constant anticipation.
Break the cycle. Disconnect.
Treat it like snail mail.
Check it out once each morning and late afternoon.
Give yourself time to think.'

'Information is pretty thin stuff, unless mixed with experience.' Clarence Day (1874-1935)

This sounds like such a good idea, doesn't it? 

There are times when I get the sneaking suspicion that my email has a habit of 'dressing up' in whips and spurs, laying in wait to dominate me, does yours? It has been known to beat me into submission at times, where you might find me lying on my back under the desk waiting for my tummy to get rubbed, just like my gorgeous Cavoodle, Oscar. Well, it works for him...he gets away with lots of stuff with a simple roll over...and those eyes, who could refuse?

Once I get up from the floor, without a tummy rub I might add, I find another 9 or 10 emails have dropped into my inbox and added themselves to my already growing 'backlog'. I arm myself with a fly swat to try and tame the hoards, but to no avail. They continue to lie in wait...and arm themselves with - red! Red signifies urgency and oh to have the will power to press delete. I must combat the inbox, but how? Turn off the computer? Trash the lot? 

While I am deciding what my weapon of choice should be, the landline phone rings; the other dominator in my life. My life is ruled by technology - I have lost control. I pick up the receiver after promising myself I will never answer the phone again ... and I wait ... yes, I wait while the automative connection of some random sales clerk in faraway India tries to click into place...and I grab my chance, and stealthily replace the receiver! Satisfied. I sure did show them.

I'm trapped by technology...is there no escape? Then a brain wave hits me ... of course there is - face book...see ya, I'm off to see my mates...ciao...xx

No comments:

Post a Comment